Registration of a birth in Hungary
- Hungarian citizens should register the birth of their children. The application may be lodged at the registrar offices in Hungary - as a general rule.
- The registration of a child’s birth outside of Hungary may be registered with the Hungarian authorities also by application through the Embassy’s Consular Section. At the same time, an application for a passport may also be submitted (see note on Hungarian Passport). The procedure of the registration takes on average about 2-4 months (without the passport procedure).
- Please do not buy any ticket before the end of the procedure as the Consulate cannot guarantee the length of the procedure neither of the registration nor of the application for passport.
Appointments shall be booked for each and every consular affair.
- You can ask an appointment directly through our online booking system.
- Please kindly do remember, if you wish to registrate your childs birth and prior the procedure of the voluntary acknowledgement of paternity, do book appointments for BOTH registrations.
- Please note that both parents should appear in person when filing application.
- If the difference between the date of birth and the end of the former marriage of the mother is less than 300 days, the former husband will be registered as father. In this case the mother has right to apply to the court to change the name of the father after the first registration.
Please make sure to have all the required documents (6 altogether), listed below:
1.) The original birth certificate (i.e. full birth certificate, showing data for parents as well) This is required in ALL cases.
There is no need for translation, if
- the birth certificate is issued in English, German or French language.at the following documents, or
- the birth certificates is issued by other countries in two or more languages if one of them is English, German or French.
In case the birth certificate is issued in different language as listed above a legalised translation should be presented. The translation could be prepared by the National Translation and Authentication Office (OFFI) – www.offi.hu – who provides official translation, OR by regular translator and be legalised by the responsible Hungarian Consulate.
2.) Parents’ marriage certificate (photocopy) OR (if the parents are not married) the document of voluntary acknowledgement of paternity
If the parents’ marriage has not yet been registered in Hungary, it has to be undertaken together with the registration of the child’s birth. (See note on Registration of marriage concluded abroad)
In case the parents have not concluded a marriage or did so only after the birth of the child, a statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage has to be made in person at the Consular Section.
3.) Application form - Completed (but not yet signed) by both parents
Please fill in the application form in Hungarian, with block capital letters and according to the conventions of the Hungarian language (name: surname followed by given name; date: year. month day., etc.). When signing the form, please make sure that the parent who is a Hungarian national signs according to the Hungarian usage, ie. surname first, given name second.
4.) Proof of parents’ nationality
The parents should present valid, original documents ID Card or Passport.
5.) Request for registration in the Hungarian Registry of Personal Data and Address
a.) If the Hungarian parent has already officially informed the Hungarian authorities that he/she lives abroad or the Hungarian parent never lived in Hungary the child should be registered as a Hungarian citizen living abroad. In this case you should fill in the form “Kérelem külföldön élő magyar állampolgárként történő nyilvántartásba vételhez”. The form can be downloaded from the website – “Form for registration as a Hungarian citizen living abroad”
b.) If the Hungarian parent has address card which involves a Hungarian address the child should be registered as a Hungarian citizen living in Hungary. In this case you should fill in the form “Kérelem Magyarországon élő magyar állampolgárként történő nyilvántartásba vételhez”. The form can be downloaded from the website – “Form for registration as a Hungarian citizen living in Hungary”
6.) Consular fees:
The registration of birth is free of charge.
For the voluntary acknowledgement of paternity an additional fee to perform.
Applications linked to closely related cases (e.g. registration of a marriage or application for Hungarian nationality) might be dealt with at the same time if there are appointments booked for each.
As all our phone lines are very busy for any further information please contact us exclusively via e-mail: email@example.com.
Forms to fill:
The forms are prepared and should be filled out in Hungarian language.