All Hungarian citizens whose marriage was dissolved by a foreign court must have the divorce registered in Hungary.


Who can initiate the procedure?

The application may be submitted by the Hungarian citizen spouse.

If you have not yet registered your previous marriage in Hungary, you must first initiate the registration procedure for your previous marriage at the same time when you register your divorce (in this case, you need to book two appointments for each type of case).


Documents to be submitted

Original certificate of divorce and precise Hungarian translation (Apostille or notarization is not required for the translation).

The Hungarian birth certificate and the Hungarian address card of the spouse of a Hungarian citizen and their copy

The original Hungarian marriage certificate and its copy

Electronically completed and printed, but not signed application form

Proof of the identity and Hungarian citizenship of the Hungarian spouse: a Hungarian passport or identity card or naturalisation document and their copies.

Certificate under the Brussels IIa Regulation (Certificaat betreffende beslissingen in huwelijkszaken, bedoeling artikel 39 (1). Decision:  L338/16 NL publicatieblad van Europese Unie 23.12.2003.


Method of submission

The application is submitted in person, after prior appointment. For booking an apointment please click: .


Duration of procedure

The process may take up to 6-8 months. There is no possibility of expediting the process.



See our table for consular fees.



(Please, kindly note that the forms should be filled out in Hungarian language. Feel free to use a digital vocabulary to facilitate the work.)

Form to register divorce