Application for Hungarian E-Identity Card

Who is entitled to request a Hungarian E-Identity Card?

All Hungarian citizens who are appear in the state electronic Personal Data and Address Register under “active status” - are entitled to apply for a personal identity card, regardless of whether they have a permanent residence in Hungary or abroad.

Please note that a condition for the acceptance of the application is that there is no discrepancy between the data in the register and the presented identification documents regarding the applicant's marital status and name.

What is the method of the application?

The application has to be submitted in person after prior appointment.

What are the special rules that apply for minor citizens?

Minor citizens between the ages of 14 and 18 may apply for a Hungarian E-Identity Card on their own without the presence of the parent(s).

In the case of an applicant under the age of 14, the consent of both parents (legal representatives) is required.

If only one parent appears in person, it is necessary to copy the other parent's notarized statement of consent (with an official Hungarian translation), or the original copy of the authorization sample duly signhed by the authorisor and the wittnesses and a copy of personally identifiable document.

If this cannot be done, the appearing parent must certify the termination of the other parent's parental custody (death certificate, court decision, guardianship consent, etc.).

Under the age of 6, the minor is not required to be present. In this case a passport photo of the child (taken within the last 3 months) must be brought to the consulate.

Upon submission of the application, the portrait, fingerprint and signature of the applicant shall be recorded by the consulate.

There is no need for fingerprints if:

  • the Hungarian citizen is less than 6 years old;
  • the applicant refuses to provide fingerprints (in this case, the issued electronic identity card will not be suitable for the functions associated with storing the fingerprint on the chip);
  • the person is physically unable to give a fingerprint, and it is confirmed by a certificate issued by a M.D and presented by the applicant.

Documents to be submitted:

Application form filled, but not yet signed. (see below)

One of the following documents to prove your identity:

  • a valid identity card or an expired ID card (maximum 1 year),
  • a valid Hungarian passport;
  • a valid driving license in card format issued by a Hungarian authority,
  • a valid foreign document (identity card, passport), and

the applicant's Hungarian address card, Hungarian birth certificate or its copy, a marriage certificate or its copy issued by a Hungarian authority.

If you have acquired your Hungarian citizenship through simplified naturalization:

  • naturalization certificate or birth and marriage certificates, address card

In the case of a minor applicant, the following must also be submitted:

one of the documents capable of identifying the parents (see above).

Duration of procedure:

The new identity card will arrive at the Embassy within 1-2 months after submitting the application.

At the consular section of our embassy, ​​it is possible to request an identity card (eSzemélyi) with an electronic storage element. In addition to personal identification, the card proves Hungarian citizenship and can be used for travel between the member states of the European Union. The electronic storage element of the document contains the citizen's fingerprint, photograph and signature. In possession of the card, the registration of the "Client Gate" (Ügyfélkapu) can also be done electronically.

Please note that it is not possible to request an electronic signature (E-sign) at our Embassy.

Application under 14 years of age

Application form above 14 years of age

Declaration of consent of parent abroad