Declaration of settling abroad

If you are establishing a permanent residence in The Netherlands, it is recommended that you register this in Hungary. This means that your residence in Hungary will cease to exist and you will be included in the Hungarian registers as a ’Hungarian citizen living abroad’. The easiest and fastest way to do this is to register this change at a Hungarian government window or district office. In this case, you will immediately receive your new address card (’Lakcímkártya’) which will state the following: ’Residence: Foreign Address’ (without any further specification).

If you wish to register your foreign residence at the Consular Section in Tha Hague, the procedure of the application is expected to take up to 3 months, as the application will have to be sent to Hungary to the district office of your Hungarian address and the newly issued address card will be mailed by them to The Hague. This can be avoided if you register the change of residence at a Hungarian district office.

Why is this important? Besides making sure data is correct in the registers, you may have obligations if you have a valid Hungarian address, such as paying health contribution fees on a monthly basis. 

The service is free of charge.

Please note: if you acquired Hungarian citizenship  while living in The Netherlands after 2013 you automatically have a foreign address registered.

Who can apply for the procedure?

Anyone with a previously registered residence in Hungary, who established a permanent residence in The Netherlands.

Method of submission:

The application may only be submitted in person (there is no possibility for someone else to hand in the application), by prior appointment. For information on booking an appointment, please visit our "Booking system" page.

Special rules for minors:

If only one parent appears in person, the appearing parent must certify the cessation of parental custody of the other parent (death certificate, court decision, guardianship consent, etc.).

Children between the ages of 14-18 must appear personally and sign the forms.

Documents to be submitted:

  1. Original address card containing the Hungarian address
  2. Valid identity card or passport
  3. ’Külföldi letelepedésre vonatkozó nyilatkozat’  or "Külföldi letelepedésre vonatkozó nyilatkozat kiskorúak számára" form
  4. "Registration of data of Hungarian citizens living abroad" form

Please note that the forms are prepared and should be filled out in Hungarian language.

With the announcement of cancelling your Hungarian residence to a foreign address, your address card will be withdrawn, and instead a new address card will be issued, marked with the text: ’Residence: Foreign Address’.

Duration of procedure is approximately 3 months long.

Other important information

If you already have a Hungarian address card marked as ’Residence: Foreign Address’, but in the meantime there has been a change of address, please report the change of address abroad. This can be done via the Web Assistant available on the website ’’, (it is not necessary to have a Client Gate (’ügyfélkapu’) registration to use it!).

Request form for changing address abroad