About Hungarian Citizenship



The following documents serve as proofs of Hungarian citizenship:

  • valid Hungarian ID card;
  • valid Hungarian passport (if your passport has expired, you may still use it as proof of Hungarian citizenship for one year following the date of its expiration);
  • valid Hungarian citizenship certificate;
  • certificate of naturalization, until proven otherwise;
  • the registry of personal data and addresses (Please kindly note that your data is included in the registry if you have a so-called address card or if you previously had a Hungarian personal number.)


Please note that Hungarian birth and marriage certificates do not serve as proof of Hungarian citizenship.


How do I become a Hungarian citizen if:

a) I emigrated to The Netherlands as a Hungarian citizen?

  • If you are sure that you are not able to prove that you are a Hungarian citizen by the means listed above, you can apply for the verification of your Hungarian citizenship. Many Hungarians came to The Netherlands after the 1956 revolution. Their Hungarian citizenships are still intact with some rare exceptions.


b) My parents or grandparents emigrated to The Netherlands as Hungarian citizens, but I myself was born in the Netherlands?

  • The main principle of Hungarian citizenship law is the jus sanguinis  (latin for right of blood), meaning that descendants of Hungarian citizens are Hungarian citizens themselves by birth (regardless of the country of birth or the number of generations living abroad). Consequently, if any of your parents or grandparents are Hungarian citizens or were one when you were born, it is very likely that you are one yourself. You can apply for the verification of your Hungarian citizenship. In this case it is irrelevant whether you speak Hungarian or not.
  • Please kindly note some notable exceptions from this general rule:
  • Before October 1, 1957 a Hungarian woman lost her Hungarian citizenship if she married a non-Hungarian citizen.
  • Before October 1, 1957 a child born from a non-Hungarian father and a Hungarian mother did not become a Hungarian citizen by birth. He or she may become a Hungarian citizen by a statement but his or her descendants have to be naturalized.
  • If your Hungarian ancestor emigrated from Hungary before September 1, 1929, it is likely that his or her descendants were not born Hungarian citizens. You may be naturalized if you speak Hungarian.


c) I lost my Hungarian citizenship or my parents/grandparents lost theirs?

You can become a Hungarian citizen by simplified naturalization, if you speak Hungarian. This situation usually arises as a ramification of the peace treaties that followed the First and Second World Wars. If you or your ancestors originate from the present-day territory of Hungary, it is more likely that either point a) or b) applies to you.

If you have lost your Hungarian citizenship for any of the reasons listed below, you might reacquire it by means of a statement, and your children and grandchildren may apply for naturalization if they speak Hungarian:

  • you were deprived of your Hungarian citizenship by virtue of Act X of 1947 and Act XXVI of 1948, of Act LX of 1948 on Hungarian Citizenship or of Act V of 1957 on Citizenship;
  • your Hungarian citizenship ceased by expatriation between September 15, 1947 and May 2, 1990;
  • you were a person obliged to resettle in Germany.


d) My spouse is a Hungarian citizen and I speak Hungarian?

You may become a Hungarian citizen by simplified naturalization on condition that at the time of your submitting the application

  • you have been married for at least 10 years or
  • you have been married for at least 5 years and you had a child in common.


e) None of the above seems to apply to my case?

  • The examples above are typical cases we encounter in our work. Life is much broader than typical cases thus the provided information is incomplete, of course.
  • If you are interested in Hungarian citizenship, please send us an e-mail to consulate.hga@mfa.gov.hu  to obtain more information specific to your case.